Thursday 14 March 2013

The Attic

Hello Folks!

As always I've really enjoyed my time off. Yesterday I spent as usual doing chores and shopping. This morning I spent typing (still re-editing The Tessellation Saga,) and playing with my grandsons. This afternoon I crawled into the attic space in our house ostensibly to look for a paticular bag containing some speakers.  Little did I know I would find a treasure trove just full of memories, some made me smile, one or two made me weep and a few made me think,  why on earth would I have kept that? Apart from the fact that I once had an attic clear out and threw away a whole box of old T-Shirts. How was I supposed to know there were fifty years of Chelsea Shirts stored in the box. I'm telling you my husband nearly divorced me, he'd spent his life collecting them.  Every single Chelsea shirt for the last 50 years... and I took them to the charity shop! He didn't speak to me for a week. At least his Roy Of The Rovers collection is still intact... lol

Anyway, my house was built so long ago it had gas lighting at one time and the attic is full  of pipes of varying colours and uses from old gas pipes  to rusty water ones leading to old metal tanks full of old newspapers. In fact the upper floor in my house still has three inch pipes sticking out from the ceiling where once gas flowed to lights! I've always left them in as I think they are quirky, I do remember though at one time my girls used the one in their room to hang a mobile from. It was pop related if I remember correctly, you know, each picture a different pop star and all twisting and turning in the, ( I'd like to say breeze but I would mean draft!). If you look at the pic you can just see the gas pipe!






I've always loved attics, apart from being dusty, full of sticky cobwebs and always cold, one always finds bags and boxes that you once stored thinking, I might find a use for that one day. Why I would think I might ever find a use for an old fashioned straw hat with a dull gold band of tinsel encircling it, a pair of skates, or my eldest sons set of Sabbuteo bits ranging from the rolled up pitch to a set of stands complete with lights I don't know. Even my husbands no.1 RAF Regiment uniform and his hat which is still in its box! (I wonder if it would still fit? I always liked a man in uniform... lol)



The Purple People Eater!








I also found my middle daughters purple monster that she absolutely adored and slept with for almost ever. The monster I couldn't avoid as it seems to have been perched between the rafters surveying its territory!







Anyway, I didn't find the speakers but did find my younger sons numerous stamp albums, and his set of Mighty Max figures and the Mighty Max tower. I found the walking doll my youngest pushed around in a pram, I found the pram too! I also found some old Scout uniforms belonging to my hubby and I from way back.  He was a leader for years and I, for my sins enjoyed being one of his assistants. It was great fun and something I would recommend to any youngster venturing out into the big wide world, I know its changed a lot since we were leaders but the values, I believe are still the same.

What made me weep? well, I found some old pictures of my eldest and I sitting on the grass in our garden, she was about 30 months and she had just eaten a worm. In her hand she was holding its other half. I wept with laughter, remembering the panic I felt as she smiled proudly. Well, shes still here and has babies of her own so maybe the worm was good for her... Immunities and all that lol!

Got to go, speak soon. xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment