Monday 24 June 2013

Goodbye My Friend.

Shane Leggott, My Friend.

I sat last night thinking of you, of  the lives you had touched and the pain you'd gone through.
What will you miss most? My man said to me, he'd sat in the car park whilst I said Goodbye,
he'd allowed me to waffle, allowed me to cry.

So I sat there on the sofa just thinking of our years...

I was with Pauline and Michelle the first time you met me,
my test was due and Leslie was late, I was scared, full of tears and in a real state, so you took my hand and gave me a hug, 'it's a bag of shit,' you said, 'just tell her what you see.'

Next time I was alone with a radio and you, '926#' you said, 'and press that button there, no swearing or joking and no using names,' you smiled as I tried and fluffed up my line and you made me do it again until I got it right.

Time went on and we became friends, you'd tell me tales of your past, like your nan and her boarding house home, of the two little boys peering through glass, both of them trying to see the wrestler behind the mask.

I remember seeing you sad and feeling so low, 'I'm alone,' you said, your eyes full of pain and fear. We were sent down to pier 2 where you hugged me and cried. I hugged you back and told you to wait, that there would be someone there.

So I joined the team like you suggested and we chatted every day, we talked of family and home and you taught me your way. 'Make the tea woman, get in the kitchen,' you'd say and I'd cringe and moan but I'd never gainsay.

Then my man was ill, his operation near, again I was scared, didn't know what to do. You held my hand and hugged me and said, 'he'll come home again princess, he'll come back to you.'

I remember another twinkle in your eye, 'I've met someone,' you said, 'but I can't tell you when and I can't tell you who.' It was enough to see you happy, to see the joy back in your eyes, then when you told me it was Jane I must say I wasn't surprised.

Then the sound of the bagpipes that heralded a call.

I saw the love you shared grow, watched your pride in your home, you talked of your boys and the love that they showed. Your beautiful wedding, how both of you smiled, the photo's and the chocolate fountain that I stayed beside.

The sound of the bagpipes that heralded a call, the smile on your face as you'd answer and say, 'Ello Mrs Wabbit,' before you turned away.

The pride you showed as the boys grew strong and tall, your astro turf garden and the tanks against the wall.

I'll remember a lot, I know that I will and I'm grateful you called me a friend, but now that you're gone, your battle fought and lost, my man asks,'what will I miss?'
For me, it will always be the bagpipes that I heard every day, the bagpipes that heralded a call, the 'Ello, Mrs Wabbit,' as you turned away, the love you both shared, evident to all. The 'love you, love you,' as you told her goodbye and the smile on your face as the phone went down.

We were privileged to know you and feel the love you both shared, we'll miss you my friend, your laughter and strength touched us all.

We'll all miss you and remember the things that you taught and the things that you're teaching us still.

.-.-.-


3 comments:

  1. So lovely, So sad, I will miss you Shane :( he gave me hope and joy and always a smile. a second father to me was there when i needed him. goodbye and rest in peace......:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss, Delia. =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will miss you and will all-ways remember my old friend bye Shane

    ReplyDelete